- Get Involved
- Education & Events
- Publications & Research
- About ACA
Purpose of Accreditation
We Believe That . . .
- Camp professionals care about the successful development of children.
- Camp is for everyone – all interests, ages, abilities, budgets, and personal schedules.
- Camp offers a supervised, positive environment in the outdoors where kids can laugh and grow within a set of controlled boundaries.
- Camp is more than a place, it is an experience that gives kids a world of good.
- Camp experiences provide opportunities to develop key life skills: responsibility, cooperation, courage, and self-esteem.
The American Camping Association is a community of camp professionals and is dedicated to enriching the lives of children and adults through the camp experience.
Purpose of the Accreditation Program
The main purpose of the ACA-accreditation program is to educate camp owners and directors in the administration of key aspects of camp operation, particularly those related to program quality and the health and safety of campers and staff. The standards establish guidelines for needed policies, procedures, and practices. The camp, then, is responsible for ongoing implementation of these policies.
The second purpose of ACA accreditation is to assist the public in selecting camps that meet industry-accepted and government-recognized standards. ACA's Camp Database provides the public with eleven separate ways to search for the ideal ACA-accredited camp.
What does being ACA accredited mean? To me and my staff? To my supervisor and/or board? To my public? To my funding agency?